Monday, May 1, 2017

Dia de los Muertos

Despite Mexico being right below us in the United States, I have little knowledge when it comes to their culture and their food. Even being a native Californian that has a significant influence from Mexico, I had learned so much from my classmate’s heritage presentations.
One specific presentation was on Day of the Dead, or Dia de los Muertos. I learned so much from that presentation that I had even impressed my friends are Mexican immigrants. Prior to the presentation, I thought Dia de los Muertos was a party day like as in the United Sates for the Halloween. The day was just an excuse to drink, be silly, and dress up. I had no idea that it actually consisted of three days with each day representing a specific day for the respect of the deceased. Its representing happiness and celebration. The 31st of October is the complete opposite as to what Halloween is here. The heavens gates open for the spirits to reunite with their families. Followed by the 31st, the next two days are celebrated with a feast full of food and maintenance of the cemeteries. It is believed by the Mexicans that if the spirits are happy when they return annually that they will bring good luck for the living.
Corn is a major component of the holiday and they use it almost every dish. The even drink it in a beverage called atole. I’ve always known tamales to be a huge celebratory food in the Mexican culture, but I had no idea to the extremities of the amount of work its involved with. This dish is served at every major celebration and I can see why. It bring together everyone’s involvement which brings families together.

I thought that Carlos gave an amazing representation of the spectacular three-day event and it provided me with better insight to the Mexican heritage.
Word Count: 313

No comments:

Post a Comment